Saturday, April 01, 2006

You Know You’re a Teacher When…

The world is an endless supply of lessons. Walking the dog the other morning, I found a candy wrapper abandon on the sidewalk. Maybe I should do a lesson on littering or taking responsibility for our environment. On the way to work, I passed the newly rebuilt Taco Bell. Wouldn’t it be cool to have the kids brainstorm ways to improve the school or their houses? What would they change if it were going to be rebuilt?

Oh, but there is so much more. I got in some trouble from my dentist last school year for not flossing as often as I should. Several of the students made a pact with me to floss on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. That way we could all remind each other. Some of those kids still come by to remind me every now and then. Two new tires were recently put on my car. I took pictures of the new and old ones. That way my students can do a compare and contrast with them. Maybe we can even use a Venn diagram! I won’t even go into the amount of ideas I get from advertisements. Can what they say actually be true?

School vacations can be rough for folks like me. I will have such an excess of ideas by the time I get back into my classroom. Obviously, like most teachers, there isn’t nearly enough time in the day to get to all of the activities I’d like to try. Perhaps, during this break, I can try to pare down the list before getting to school. If I went back with 3 well-developed ideas instead of 20 half-baked ones, I might actually get something accomplished.

Did you find any lessons today?