Saturday, April 08, 2006

Life Journal

I can’t believe how quickly this break went by. Was there some kind of time warp that I’m not aware of? Surely it can’t really be over… I didn’t actually get anything done. What about all of my errands that would be more easily accomplished during the middle of the week? What about avoiding the crowds?? Oh, well. It will have to get done in a panic at the end of a school day, but in daylight!! Thank you time change.

As I moved through my late 20s time started to speed up. All of a sudden I could relate to my great-aunts, who would pinch my cheeks and comment on how, “it seems like just yesterday you were nothing but a tyke.” A few years ago I made a purchase that helped me respect, if not embrace, the quick passage of time. It is a STANDARD DIARY or Daily Reminder book from Staples.

These little books are not much to look at, but functionality makes it well worth the purchase. The book has 366 lined pages, each with a day of the month printed at the top. Whenever something of note happens in my life, I flip to the appropriate page in my journal; I write the year and a summary. For instance, on this day last year, my husband and I were returning a trip to Tiburon, California. It seems, I very much enjoyed the trip and wished we could have stayed longer, maybe even move there. We didn’t go anywhere this break, but it sure is nice to take a minute and remember last year.

None of us can actually slow time down. Why not do our best to appreciate the accomplishments we make as it marches on?