Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Yoga for Life

Four years ago this week, I attended my first yoga class. I’d been working with a DVD for a year already, so I was familiar with most of the poses. When I finally got up the nerve and went to a class, at the small studio down the street, I can’t tell you how surprised I was. The teacher kept saying, “We practice together to offer support, not judgment. Listen to your body. Be gentle. There is no competition.” Doesn’t that sound nice?

I proceeded to spend the next 90 minutes comparing my stance to that of the students around me. Is my arm up high enough? Why is he doing it that way? Should I try the harder variation? Are people looking at me? They must think I’m so bad. Here comes the instructor, what am I doing wrong? As I got in my car to go home, I was still feeling stressed.

After attending yoga classes regularly, it became easier to focus on my own individual practice. I stopped worrying about what other people were doing and just listened to my body. As the months went on and I became more flexible, it dawned on me; by letting go of my judgment I opened myself up to growth. Wait . . . why is that familiar?

Every September a group of mostly shy students walk into my classroom. They are nervously enthusiastic, desperate to be involved, but terrified of appearing different or weird. We spend the first month of school celebrating what makes us special in an All About Me Unit. Soon, rather than being embarrassed by their differences, students take pride in what makes them unique. Everyone is able to shed some of the self-consciousness and allow him or herself to be wholeheartedly involved. Thus, embracing academic growth.

I could have saved myself a lot of stressful yoga classes if I’d just practiced what I preach.