Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Ask and you shall receive.

Today I was out sick again and received the following email from my assistant: “The kids are doing much better today. Here is a note that one of our students wrote across the top of her compound word homework last night: “Miss H, this sheet of homework is to easy and I am not being challenged. from A (student) and S (her mom)!" Gotta love it right!” Yes, I see the inappropriate spelling of “to”. Can you guess where this is going?

This particular child received a supplemental homework packet from me two months ago. I have yet to see any completed work. She is not a student that ever goes beyond expectations. Her work is no longer than what is expected and I am often questioned about whether she needs to do what everyone else is doing. That always baffles me. Why would my instructions pertain to everyone but her? Most importantly, she is an only child whose parents find her wonderfully precocious. My assistant and I are tiered of precociousness being used as an excuse for laziness.

I may not have been able to grace the classroom with my presence today, but I was well enough to create a very beautiful Word document entitled A’s Homework Ideas. Using Word Art and textboxes A now has a great looking list of about 11 possible homework extension activities. I plan on mounting it on construction paper and laminating it tomorrow. Do you think I’ll be getting notes about how easy the homework is in the future?