Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Not listening? Not so bad!

It turns out, amazing things can happen when you don’t really listen to the kids. The other day one of my students was going on and on about his break. I needed to assist another student, so I excused myself from the conversation. My chatty little friend followed me over to the other child, yapping the whole way. Eventually I realized he was asking me when he should bring something to school. What that something was I have no idea. Sort of off handedly, I told him to bring it whenever he wanted. The kids often ask if they can bring in books for me to read to the class. So, I really didn’t think much of it.

Boy, was I surprised!! “Chatty” came into the room before school on Tuesday. He handed me a plastic bag and said, with the proudest smile I had ever seen, “here it is!” Here what is, I thought. Of course, what I said was, “Thanks Chatty. That’s great!” To my astonishment, in the bag I found one container of oil, another of balsamic vinegar as well as a bag of sliced rosemary bread. Can you believe it?? As I recall, he had been talking to me about how much he enjoyed eating bread dipped in oil and vinegar prior to break. He is such a funny kid.

At the end of the day I set up 3 dipping stations. The kids each got a piece of bread. Chatty demonstrated how to properly dip the bread. He wanted everyone to know that if you get too much of the black stuff you won’t like it, but you have to make sure to get a little bit of it or it won’t taste as good. The kids loved it!! I’ll admit that I poured myself a little dish and ate 3 pieces of bread when they all went home!