Monday, April 10, 2006

What to do, what to do?

My assistant has recently taken over the instruction of a couple subjects. I hadn’t imagined it would be so hard to relinquish control. She taught a lesson today. I kid you not when I say, I accidentally took over the lesson. Someone asked me a question, I answered and just kept talking. A few minutes in, I caught myself and slinked (slunk?) back to my desk. I apologized after the lesson, but she just laughed. I’m pretty sure she knows I wasn’t trying to step on her toes. It is hard though.

It is very odd to be a teacher in a room while another teacher teaches, especially when they are your students. I’ve spent 7 months getting to know the various learning and behavior styles of these kids. When my assistant teaches, I sometimes wonder if she knows them at all. That’s not true. She knows the kids. It’s just that she can be very abrupt and often sarcastic; it seems hard for the kids to be totally comfortable. She really likes the students. I think it’s just her way.

Maybe she is best suited to a higher grade-level. Am I being overly protective? It is possible. Hopefully I’ll feel better about it tomorrow. Oh, wait. She doesn’t teach again until Wednesday. Well, there’s a nice little reprieve. I’ll worry about it tomorrow.