Tuesday, March 14, 2006

What will tomorrow bring?

We were notified today that there will be a fire drill tomorrow. I don’t really mind them. It seems like a good idea to be ready, especially here in California! This year has been different than most though. I have a student that is terrified of the alarm. Not terrified of the prospects of danger, or the chaos a drill brings about, just the volume of the noise. It is really quite amazing.

I noticed that the little guy had the same reaction to the buzzer they use in the gym signaling the end of a quarter. Last time we were all up there for a game as the crowd chanted 10,9,8,7,6, he became more and more tense. 5,4,3,2, he now has his fists clenched, teeth locked and is in a sort of crouch position. 1, BUZZ, it was an abbreviated buzzer! The little guy looks around in bewilderment and then starts laughing like crazy.

It was a total Calvin and Hobbes moment. Phew, no explosion.

Tomorrow’s fire drill brings with it an interesting twist. Rather than walking out with my class, I will be meeting them on the yard. My students will be in Spanish during the designated fire drill time. What will my scared little man do? I’ve warned the teacher about his reaction and I plan on giving the student in question a heads-up.

After our many talks about how best to use one’s energy in an emergency situation, will he behave rationally? My guess is no. I’d say, it would be a 50/50 shot if he were with me during the time of evacuation. That poor, poor Spanish teacher. Maybe I’ll wait outside his classroom, just in case I’m needed.