Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A Pleasant Surprise

I adore the Olympics. It doesn’t matter to me if it is the Winter or Summer Olympics. I’m in either way! Luckily this year we were able to work the Winter Olympics into the curriculum nicely. It is such a great way to teach good sportsmanship, geography and writing. I even managed to get it into a math lesson here and there. The kids loved using information about what they had watched the night before.

As part of this unit, I asked the kids to write a paragraph about who they think should carry the Olympic Torch. We talked about what kind of person deserves this honor. Someone you look up to, admire or really respect. Someone who is a good role model to others would be a good choice. I loved reading who they chose as I began correcting rough drafts. I read things like mom, dad, Body Miller, Grandma Sally, Ms. Teacher, Ms. Teacher, Ms. Teacher. I couldn’t believe it. It had never occurred to me that anyone would choose me. I hadn’t realized I was an option.

That was a great day.