Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Expecting The Best

Haven’t we all read about the effects of a teacher’s expectations on a student’s performance? I remember a study we looked at in grad school where teachers were told they had a “gifted” group of students. Assuming this to be true, they taught the students more challenging material. In reality, they were average students who produced above average results at the end of the year. Hence, you get what you expect.

In September “Ziggy” was excited to be in my class. We already knew each other from different school functions. Academically, he was a tentative student. He didn’t raise his hand very often and always looked for reassurance before committing to an answer. After probing his parents and last year’s teacher for information about his abilities, I felt comfortable pressing him a little bit.

In November, while being sure to supply loads of encouragement, I began to push Ziggy. At first, he looked hurt. Why was he not good enough all of a sudden? I explained, “ you’re doing good work, but I think you can do great work.” He still appeared confused by my higher expectations. Soon, however, his sentences became longer and more interesting.

In December, he started to take pride in the slant his printing had taken on. After Winter Break, he crowed about writing 5 pages when only 3 were expected. The best, oh my, the very best is his love for reading. At least once a week he is at my desk giving me the run down of his latest chapter.

Every now and then he has a rough day. He is a sensitive guy and any interpersonal conflict can cause his work to suffer. Even on these days, we have a trust. He knows I expect a lot, but I know he just can’t give it all of the time.

So, expect a lot and understand when it just isn’t possible. I guess that is the amended version.